Wednesday, September 9

The Other Side of my Bellybutton

There are things that I do and think about since being pregnant that I could not otherwise justify.

For instance, I spend a lot of time thinking about my uterus. Up until now, it's been a relatively quiet passenger on a generally uneventful ride. The cervix is the loose cannon, once a month in particular. But, the uterus has always been, for the most part, silent and cooperative.

Nowadays, it seems to have a personality and an opinion on everything. Aside from the life inside it, which is a totally different albeit more predictable story, I now consider my uterus's reaction to everything. It's sort of like when I was in middle school and I wanted to do things my own way and fully believed I should be able to, but I knew there'd be some consequence from my mother's reaction to endure. It's kind of like that.

I mean, I can drink soda instead of water... I've been drinking water all day! I earned it. But, what will my uterus think? Will it give a silent nod to my reward or will it clam itself up like a cranky toothless old man's face and leave me writhing in pain throughout the evening?

I also wonder what's on the other end of my belly button.

I wonder what keeps it in there, and what is it connected to? If I took my stomach and reversed it, what would the bellybutton look like on the other side? I imagine it'd look something like a balloon knot. But, from the outside, where's the flare of the knot?

I'm aware there are other things I could spend my time on... for example, the "miracle of life" and all the mysteries going on inside me at the moment... how my body knew how to just create someone else, how it's going to get her out of there!, or whether eating a lot of green vegetables and standing in the sun would cause a Krebs cycle in a mammal. The standards, you know.

But in the meantime, if we could endulge Shel Silverstein to wonder Where The Sidewalk Ends (which is just an engineering question), I think I can allow myself the time to wonder where my bellybutton goes.

2 comments:

KaraM said...

I heart you. no really... I do. :) ha

Samantha said...

Glad my bellybutton philosophizing (?) has not made you change your mind. It's made me question myself plenty!